NYC Public High School Choice:
Loud and Clear
I give this talk in March early summer The earlier you get this information the easier your fall will be. Model good study skills for your child. Don't procrastinate.
Sorry no walk ins.
Ticket purchase/RSVP required. I need to gather some general information from you to make sure that I present the information you need.
This talk translates the DOE's "script" describing how the process actually works, talking about the data available and how to manage and organize it. Also, you get my list of approx. 70 programs that are interesting possibilities for college bound kids from Brooklyn and Manhattan. It will prepare you for the NY High School Fair, tours and choices in the fall.
- I describe the process quickly and clearly without the deadly powerpoint used elsewhere.
- This talk is designed for families of college bound students.
- I give you a practical strategy to organize and manage the search.
- I help you understand how to interpret the data that is available.
- I give you resources to streamline your search and cull the giant directory.
- I focus on what you need to know and when from a parent's point of view.
- I give you a little practical advice on what the high school choice means for the college search.
I will do my best to help you laugh in the face of adversity.
I cover schools that would be a possible commute for students living in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Including Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens high schools.
$30 per person
"Just wanted to say thank you again for the incredible seminar you gave last night on high school admissions. I walked into it knowing absolutely nothing about the process and truly frightened by the idea of it.
And now I have a firm handle on how to proceed finding the right school for my son.
It is all thanks to you, you were so clear and concise!
I truly appreciate it, it was invaluable."
- 7th grade mom
"Your talk last night was hilarious. You make a difficult, emotionally laden subject lively and approachable."
- 7th grade mom
"I laughed. I cried. It was better than 'Cats'.
- 7th grade mom (seriously this was a real quote!)
"I can only describe Joyce as the platonic ideal of an expert in her field and $30 is a very cheap price for the opportunity to hear what she has to say."
Eric Schlosser- Praxis Tutors
Hootenanny Art House
426-428 15th St. at 8th Ave.
Brooklyn Conservatory of Music
58 7th Ave. (enter around the corner on Lincoln Place)
The Old Stone House
336 3rd St. (by JJ Byrne Playground)