There are lots of reports about locations for new public or charter school programs. While the news may be exciting, for many families they won't be open in time for your child to access them. Many of them are for 300 seat schools. Just so you know, that is a tiny school. Just because it is a new school site, doesn't mean that it will be a new school, or that it will mean rezoning in the neighborhood. There are several schools looking for new locations to expand; International Charter School of NY (D13, looking for room to grow to 5th grade), Success Charter Cobble Hill (D15, looking for room for their middle school), Arts and Letters (their community and their co-located school, PS 20 have preferred that the schools each have their own space), We just can't predict what the space will be used for ahead of time. Remember PS 133 used to be a zoned school in D13 - it is now an unzoned D13 school that serves both D13 and D15. Lots of things can happen.
Here is what is coming (and if you know of others that I have missed (and it is easy to miss!) please let me know.
- 664 Pacific St. (at 6th Ave. Atlantic Yards) in District 13. 616 seat middle school (MS 1?) 2018? Don't count on it.
- 420 Albee Square (Willoughby/Fulton) in One Willoughby Square in District 13. 300 seat school. Estimated completion in 2021.
- 80 Flatbush (btwn 3rd/4th Aves) in District 15. It will house two schools; a 350 seat elementary school and a new home for Khalil Gibran International Academy. Estimated first phase completion 2022.
- 36th St. (5th Ave.) District 15. 400 seat elementary school. When it will happen - who knows.
- 4525 8th Ave. (46th St.) in D15. 332 seats, prek-5th grade. The School Construction Authority is in the process of acquiring this property through eminent domain. When and if it will happen - who knows.
- 364 43rd St. (off 4th Ave.) in D15. 332 seats, prek-5th grade. The School Construction Authority is in the process of acquiring this property through eminent domain. When and if it will happen - who knows. The Romanesque Revival facade will be restored.
- 278 59th St. (btwn 2nd/3rd Ave.) in D20. 676 seats k-8th grade PS/IS 746. When?
Those of you in Park Slope South know that PS 889 and MS 809 just opened in new construction on Coney Island Ave.
Brooklyn Prospect is renovating two middle school facilities. Their D15 "Windsor Terrace MS" will move to a new facility in Gowanas, proposed for fall for 2019 at 160 17th St. and their "Clinton Hill MS" will be moving to a renovated permanent home in 1100 Fulton sometime in the near future.
Go here to see what the Construction Authority is building.
Go here to see what rezoning is in process. New rezoning is generally announced in Oct. or early Nov.